Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Introducing Murphy!

Introducing Murphy!


Today was a milestone in my journey to learn to walk again.  After having an amputation on June 9, 2014 and then having an infection that caused me to be on IV antibiotics for almost three months, today we finally got to don Murphy (my prosthetic leg) and begin configuring the settings so I can learn how to walk.  Woohoo!

The last month has been very difficult waiting for the wound to complete the healing process so we could finally work with Murphy.  I am not working right now.  That is a very difficult thing for me to do.  Staying home and vegetating is not my idea of fun.  So...I learned to make mobile applications and I am now producing mobile applications that are being published on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon Kindle.  Yay me!  With all of the physical therapy and work I must do to get back up and walking, I believe that I will not be able to return to the classroom this school year.  I hat that...but that is the way it has to be for now.  



So, while I am not working, I am working on my dissertation (soon to be Dr. Turner), building my application business, and learning to walk with Murphy.  That should be enough to keep my busy for a while.  :-)

So my wound doctor released me today, my orthopedic doctor doesn't want to see me for three months, and my prosthetist is super excited about our progress in getting ready to use Murphy!  Just about the time I was thinking I would never get there, here I am!  Woohoo!

Thursday I go to the surgeon to discuss my surgical options for my gallstones.  Hopefully I will get that done quickly so I can get up on Murphy and begin regular physical therapy.  I know I am ready to get the stones out.  About 1-2 nights a week, I really struggle with abdominal pain.  Whew, what a relief when we get that taken care of!  

That is about it for now.  I have so much more to say,but it has been a very long day and I am ready to jump into bed (literally, because my bed is so tall I have to jump to get into it).  More updates later.

Remember, it is not "disabled" but "differently-abled"

Shelly Turner
almost Dr. Turner
Wife to Tony
Mother to Tavis, Heather, Tabitha, and Allyn
Grandmother to Sweet Baby Rae
Biology Diva
Skydiving Diva
Amputee

Living Life without Limb-its!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment