Saturday, January 3, 2015

Good News!

Good news!! No ulcers!! Woohoo! Now we are setting up an appointment to get a surgery consult for the gallstones. Let's hope it is soon, because they are very painful!! My appointment is for January 29th, but please pray they can get me in sooner!!
Also, tomorrow I go get Murphy!! Woohoo! I am still not allowed to use it, but in about four weeks I can get it "programmed" and start physical therapy. It will be several months before I can walk unassisted, but I am so excited to get started!! Woohoo!!
The colder weather has been wreaking havoc on my phantom limb sensation (it is hard to call it pain because it is not quite the same as the pain I have experienced in my lifetime). The wound looks wicked awesome! I have skin covering it now and I just have to wait for it to get mature skin before I can start working with Murphy.
My dogs are getting very comfortable with my amputation. When I am walking down the hallway with my walker or crutches, they just run under my stump to get by me (I am still really slow). He he he
I am excited about working with my leg so I can meet my first big goal. Springfest in Batesville always does a 1k walk and a 5k run. My goal is to get good enough with Murphy that I can do the 1k this spring...and maybe the 5k run the next year! C'mon Murphy!! We can do it!!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and enjoyed your time with family and friends. I also hope that you took a moment to remember that God sent his precious son for you. .
With 2014 almost over, I have a few resolutions:
1. Keep doing my physical therapy exercises, but bump it up to twice a day instead of once a day now that the wound is almost healed.
2. Go to the gym at least three times a week to start building up arm and thigh muscles (I have a marathon to prepare for!)
3. Eat healthier. I am super bad about eating very, very little during the day. I need to eat little meals throughout the day. At least a small breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hard to do a marathon without energy!
4. Keep working on the Kindle version of iLoveScience (a resource for high school biology teachers).
5. Keep growing and learning how to build iPhone, iPad, Android, and Kindle apps. It is really cool stuff and keeps my techie skills up-to-date! Just because I am not working does not mean I cannot learn and grow my skills!! 
6. Read some of the books that I have on my "must read" list. I have so many I am not entirely sure where to start!
7. Post weekly (at least) to my blog. I have had so many people that told me they were disappointed that I was not posting about my progress, so I will do better. 
8. Finish my dissertation. Then I will be Dr. Shelly Turner!! Woohoo!
I am sure there are more, but those are my main ones. Of course, the primary resolution is to get back up on my feet/foot, but I am at the mercy of my medical team for that one. But rest assured, when they give the nod, away I go!!
Happy New Year to everyone! 2015 is going to be a wicked awesome year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment